Each year schools must make certain required information available to prospective and enrolled students under the Higher Education Act (HEOA) and the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). In addition to the Financial Aid information below, see RISD's Policies + Disclosures for answers to frequently asked questions.

Need-based and non-need based federal financial aid available to students 
Source: Types of Aid  

Need-based and non-need based state and local aid programs, school aid programs and other private aid programs
Source: Types of Aid

How students apply for aid and how eligibility is determined
Source: Apply for Aid

How the school distributes aid among students

Source: RISD Financial Aid

The rights and responsibilities of students receiving aid
Source: Rights and Responsibilities

How and when financial aid will be disbursed
Source: Financial Aid and Your Bill

The terms and conditions of any employment that is part of the financial aid package
Source: Work Study

The terms of, schedules for, and the necessity of loan repayment and required loan exit counseling
Source: Loans

Satisfactory Academic Progress

The Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, requires the College to establish minimum standards of  “satisfactory academic progress” for students receiving financial aid. The College applies these standards to all federal, state and institutional funds.

RISD will only disburse financial aid to those students who are in good academic standing and are making satisfactory progress toward completion of their degree.

A student is not making satisfactory academic progress if either of the following conditions exists:

  • The student’s cumulative grade point average (GPA) is below 2.0 at the end of the second year of his/her academic program. 
  • The student completes (finishes with a passing grade) less than 67% of all attempted coursework, as calculated at the end of spring semester each year. Grades of “W” (withdrawn) and “I” (incomplete) are not considered passing grades.

Satisfactory Academic Progress is reviewed at the end of each semester. If a student is not making Satisfactory Academic Progress, he or she will be placed on financial aid warning. The student will then have one semester to meet SAP requirements. The financial aid warning status will be removed if the student achieves SAP requirements. If the student does not meet SAP requirements, financial aid will be denied the following semester. A student denied financial aid based on Satisfactory Academic Progress may submit a written appeal with an academic plan of study to the Financial Aid Office. Should the appeal be approved, the student will be placed on Financial Aid Probation for the subsequent semester. The student will have one semester to meet SAP requirements or be deemed ineligible for financial aid until he/she achieves the required GPA.

Students who are ineligible for financial aid because they are not making Satisfactory Academic Progress may appeal. Appeals are considered when a student has been able to complete coursework in a fashion that corrects the cause of his/her losing financial aid eligibility, or when extraordinary circumstances (for example, student illness or the illness/death of a family member) have prevented the student from achieving Satisfactory Academic Progress. Students considering an appeal should contact the Financial Aid Office to make an appointment.

The costs of attending the school (tuition and fees, books and supplies, room and board and applicable transportation costs, such as commuting) and any additional costs of the program in which the student is enrolled or has expressed an interest
 Find 2016-17 tuition and fee information here.

A statement of the requirements for the return of Federal Student Aid Program funds when a student withdraws from school, information about any refund policy with which the school must comply, and the requirements for officially withdrawing from the school.
If a student withdraws from the College and has Title IV aid for that term, the amount of the Title IV aid that may have to be returned is based on the amount of the Title IV aid that has been earned as of the date of the withdrawal from the College. The amount of the Title IV aid that is considered earned is in the same proportion as the amount of the term that the student has completed before they withdrew. If a student has completed more than 60% of the term, then all of the Title IV aid is considered as being earned.

The amount of unearned Title IV aid that the College must return is based on the institutional charges, such as: tuition, room and board. The student may also be required to return a portion of the unearned Title IV aid. The College will notify the student of the amount(s) that the College is responsible for returning as well as the amount the student may be responsible for returning. If a student is required to return a loan or a portion of a loan, it is the student’s responsibility to repay the loan according to the original terms of the loan. If a student is required to return a grant, only 50% is required to be returned. If a student is due a post-withdrawal disbursement of Title IV aid and has outstanding institutional charges, the College will notify the student of the awards and the procedures to accept or decline the aid.

Who to contact for information on student financial assistance
Source: FAQs/Contact Us

Net Price Calculator
This calculator will provide you with an estimate of the Net Price of attending RISD.  These calculations are for informative purposes only and should not be considered an actual award or an expected award.  Funds are based on availability.

Average Undergraduate Student Loan Debt
The average student loan debt for undergraduates from the class of 2015 who borrowed federal or private loans was $33,593.

These FAV students are using shadow puppets to create an evocative film.