Health Services provides
confidential, quality health care services to students in an ambulatory care
setting, including triage for emergent care, acute care visits and referrals to
specialists. We also provide comprehensive GYN care and STI testing.
Health Services is staffed by nurse practitioners (NPs) and a
registered nurse (RN).
NPs provide medical care for both acute and
chronic health problems. They prescribe some medications for illness and consult regarding specific health concerns.
You may receive a
referral to a specialist in the Providence community if indicated by your situation. We will also
collaborate with your primary care physician and/or specialist about your
specific health care needs.
An RN is available for assessment and
treatment of minor illnesses and first aid along with advice.
A physician consults with the staff on a regular basis.
Through a partnership with AIDS Project Rhode Island, Health Services offers on-site testing and counseling for STIs and HIV. Oral swab tests are offered monthly and the results, as well as follow-up counseling, are provided within 15 minutes.
For the 2014-15 academic year RISD has partnered with United Healthcare Student Resources to provide health insurance coverage for our students.
The new Student Health Insurance Plan, offered by United Healthcare Student Resources and administered by University Health Plans is effective from September 1, 2014 through August 31, 2015. The annual premium is $1,145. All students are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), with the charge for coverage added to the tuition bill. Should you choose to waive this insurance, you must show proof of comparable coverage and submit an online waiver form prior to the start of each academic year. All medical insurance policies must be from a US domestic insurance company. Non-US-based insurance companies or coverage provided in countries with socialized medicine including Canada do not meet the insurance requirement.
You can get your insurance ID card online through United Healthcare.
To waive the RISD SHIP, your spring health insurance waiver deadline is March 1, 2015. There will be another deadline in August to waive SHIP for the 2015/16 academic year. Follow these steps:
- Visit www.universityhealthplans.com
- Select “Rhode Island School of Design”
- Click on the “Waiver Form” link on the left hand side of the page
- Fill in all the required information – if any information is missing, your waiver will not be accepted.
- Submit the waiver form. Within a few minutes, you will receive an email response indicating whether your form was submitted successfully or not. Be sure to print the confirmation for your records, as this is your only documentation indicating that the form was submitted. If the form does not submit successfully, fill it out again and resubmit. If it still does not submit successfully, contact University Health Plans by email (there is an email icon at the bottom of the webpage), or by calling 1 800 437-6448 or 617 472-5324.
Please contact University Health Plans
with any questions related to the waiver or health insurance policy.
Visits to Health Services are by appointment only, except for emergencies.
Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri
8:30am – 4:30pm
Wed (extended hours)
8:30am – 7:00pm
Walk-In Hours (for acute illness only)
Weekdays 8 – 9am and 12 – 1pm
Women's Health Clinic
Mondays 4 – 8pm
Sat + Sun
call for hours of availability
phone: 401 454-6625
fax: 401 454-6628
55 Angell Street
Emergencies: If there is an emergency when Health Services is closed, call Public Safety at 401 454-6666 or x6666. A Public Safety emergency medical technician (EMT) will respond and, if necessary, arrange transportation to an appropriate medical facility.
Policies regarding student health and safety
Traveling out of the country?
RI Department of Health