Rhode Island School of Design Health Services provides
confidential, quality health care services to students in an ambulatory care
setting, including triage for emergent care, acute care visits and referrals to
specialists. We also provide comprehensive GYN care and STI testing.
Our Health Service is staffed by Nurse Practitioners and a
Nurse Practitioners provide medical care for both acute and
chronic health problems. They prescribe medications for illness as well as
consults regarding specific health concerns.
You may receive a
referral to a specialist in the Providence community if indicated. We will also
collaborate with your primary care physician and/or specialist about your
specific health care needs.
A Registered Nurse will be available for assessment and
treatment of minor illness and first aid as well as advice.
A Physician consults with the staff on a regular basis, and
This is performed along with STI testing. In addition ,we
have partnered with Project AIDS RI who are on-site in Health services once a
month. Oral swab tests are obtained and
results, as well as follow up counseling, are provided within a fifteen
minute time frame.
Rhode Island School of Design is pleased to announce that for the 2014-2015 Academic Year we have partnered with United Healthcare Student Resources to provide health insurance coverage for our students. This represents a change from Gallagher Koster, who provided the student health insurance in past years. If you purchased the insurance provided by Gallagher Koster in the past and have any outstanding claims or questions, please continue to contact Gallagher Koster at gallagherstudent.com/risd through December 2014.
The new Student Health Insurance Plan, administered by University Health Plans, offered by United Healthcare Student Resources is effective September 1, 2014 through August 31, 2015. The annual premium is $1,145. All students are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) and the charge for coverage has been added to your tuition bill. Should you choose to waive this insurance, you must show proof of comparable coverage and complete and submit an online waiver form by August 15, 2014. All medical insurance policies must be from a US domestic insurance company. Non US based insurance companies or coverage provided in countries with socialized medicine, including Canada, does NOT meet the insurance requirement.
To waive the RISD SHIP for the 2014-2015 Academic Year:
- Visit www.universityhealthplans.com
- Select “Rhode Island School of Design”
- Click on the “Waiver Form” link on the left hand side of the page
- Fill in ALL the required information – if any information is missing, your waiver will NOT be accepted.
- Submit the waiver form. Within a few minutes after completing the waiver process, you will receive an email response indicating whether your form was submitted successfully or not. Be sure to print the confirmation for your records, as this is the only documentation indicating that the form was submitted. If the form is not submitted successfully, fill it out again and resubmit. If it still is not submitted successfully, contact University Health Plans via email (click on icon at bottom of webpage), or at 1-800-437-6448 or (617) 472-5324.
Please contact University Health Plans at 1-800-437-6448 with any questions related to the waiver or health insurance policy.
Health Insurance Waiver Deadline for the 2014-2015 academic year is August 15, 2014.